Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mary Johns Bowen Letters 20 Jan 1850

After grammar school Mary paid her way into seminary school, by teaching school. She went to Oakland Female Seminary School in Hillsboro Ohio. Oakland Female Seminary was started in 1839 by Reverend Joseph McD. Matthews located at the intersections of East Main Street and Marshall Pikes in Hillsboro. It was the first female school in the State of Ohio, in which collegiate education was given to young ladies. She graduated from Oakland in 1850. She finish school early which would have taken her 6 yrs to do she did it in 3 yrs. To earn her way through school she was a waitress in a restaurant on school campus or near it. She tutors students who struggled with English courses. In her second year in school she became assistant English teacher. She planned on going to China as a teacher with a group of missionary’s. She bought clothes for a 3 year stay esp. shoes due to they were hard to come by in China. Before she was ready to leave for China, she was told she couldn’t go, that only married couples were allowed to go. 

The blank spots in the letter, are of the words I wasn't able to make due to they were unreadable. 


Hillsboro Jan 20th 1850.
Sunday, May 12, 2013
3:25 PM
Dear Sir
Please pardon my rashness of asking some information concerning the proprity of young ladies being missionaries.
I know it is my duty to do something for the _____ but being ____ in this world's goods ___ ___ thought of going to teach them in order to ____ful that duty. I hope it is not the obligations alone that prompts ____ sacrifice my friends and country but the love of the souls of those who  are perishing for the  word Christ' s gospel. I am weak very weak in faith.  The least of all Christians  if I am a Christian at all.  We'll not Christ give me strength to work for him! Only he works in the means of saving one soul I would rejoice more that if kingdoms were in my possession. I have ________ my wishes to a few friends who think it is unsafe for unmarried ladies to become missionaries. Knowing your knowledge of the matter I herefore ask you if it would be improper or dangerous to with a missionary family. I have no field(?)   of labor selected nor have I any particular choice for there are calls for assistance in all sides.
If you wish to know any more about the _____ of this  ____ inquire of Mr Stub  Pardon and keep secret my presumption
your friend in Christ
Mary Bowen
Rev W. S. Rogors ( or Ragors)

No comments:

Post a Comment