Sunday, August 18, 2013

Loafman Letters 1881-1886

 Here is the transcribed letters of Mary Johns Bowen and her daughters ( Maggie, Ella, Della, Julia), Albert Selway, and George Sanders. Mary and her daughters letters were written in Kansas from 1881-1886. I will be putting up the photo copies of some of these letters in the future.
 
Letter Oct 23 1881

Julia and Albert; I received your letter from Mary telling me of your marriage. I congratulate you and if your future is as bright as my wishes would make it life's journey would be delightful. Though I cant see to near the prospect before you. yet it is not to be expected that you will be more highly favored than others, and troubles must arise pathway as in others. But if you keep your Christian armor on all will be well in the end. So I advise you bear and forebear with each others faults ( for all have faults) if your trust and prayers are in true faith in Christ; there is no terror in the future that need cause you moments  fear and I hope and pray that you might live the Christian life to the end. There is not a day passes by but you are remembered by us in prayer and hope you will not forget us. Particularly Ella she lets her temper run away with her so often. Pray that Christ my be her all and all and make her his child. Dell and Maggie have there faults also, but easily  controlled. All are good to help me about my work. But letter from you to advise them in their duties will do them much good. I am glad to know you are so well prepared to commence life. I would like to help you but my health is not much improved yet and consequently have to be saving. I have taken the aging to canvass for the life of Garfield. Am to get 80 cents for every book I sell. Have secured 16 subscribers in little over a week and have only been out about four hours. I hope to improve my health by being in the fresh air. It is healthy over here, now Ella is well and getting fleshy. I do not get over the overheat I had so long ago and for some time and have suffered from a cough and pain in the lungs, but I think it is getting better, Albert you asked about land, here you could get plenty of land either raw of improved either to buy or rent and I would be glad to have you here but will not


Unknown date letter 1882 ?

Advise as I know your mothers view. Besides I want to see where mary lives. The greatest objection I have here is want of fruit. I have not been abt marys yet but think I will got after awhile and will write that I think. Julia I want to see you, I want to see the tax and about that deeds for those lots sent to me the bill and I will sent you the money. I may have a home bulit there in the spring, have to stop now. Write very soon and let me know all the news love to your many friends.


Nov  19, 1882

Julia and Albert; dear children I have put off writing to you thinking my health would be better but I find that my strength is gradually failing and unless I get relief I have  but a few months at most to live. I am not sick only a bad cough and shortness of breath. I have very little pain at any time yet distress in the breast I cannot explain. I am using some remedies but I think it is of little use to doctor consumption. I will be more likely to get well without much medicine. Of course I feel anxious about the girls, but they have many friend here and I feel the lord will watch over them. But it is very hard for them being left particularly Maggie. If my life is spared I shall think it an answer to her prayers. I am able to be up nearly all the time and can work some, but find I accomplish less each week. I don’t worry about for whether I live or die it will all be well. Though my life's work has been poorly done, yet I have hope through Christ's mercy. That my removal to the spirit world will a happy change. Julia I will have the girls picture taken and sent to you.  I am to thin in flesh you would not know me in a picture please write soon. Is your part of the country suffering from floods? We have had a very mild winter and just enough snow and rain to keep the wheat growing; so that farmers have been able to pasture their wheat, the greater part of the winter. We are have very little rain now so I cannot say what the prospect will be a month later. I shall not write any business matter this time only if there is anything needing my attention. Please attend to it in my place until I get someone legally appointed. Love all, if there is any change for the worse I will have it written to you. I must close love to all the friends including yourselves. May god bless and take care of us all is the prayer of your mother.


Feb 5 1883 (Maggie)

Larned Feb. 25 1883 Maggie writing to Albert and & Julia
Dear Albert & Julia I take my pen in hand to write to you and let you know I am well and hope this will find you the same. Ella is almost asleep I guess I must hurry up before I gets dark. How is the baby. Ma is in a bad way dell is combing ellas head. Julie where do you live. I am going to get my picture taken. I will send you. So you can get the babys picture taken and send it to me. I go to school. My teacher name is A.J Waimfehine. Will I must leave yours truly; excuse bad writing, bad spelling and bad writing. Goodbye Maggie E. loafman.


1882

Dear Julia: You will be surprised to know that I am at Mary's but I needed rest so much that the doctor said that to get away from work and travel was the best medicine he could prescribed. so Maggie and I have come to Mary's and left Ella and Dell at home. In Larned. We expected Frank and Mary to go home with us the last of next month but I hardly think Frank want to go and I don’t want to persuade him so I think I shall go home about the 16th of September I think this a better county for farming than where I live but for health and stock Pawnee county is far ahead and much ahead as regard to society I have been here two Sundays and I neither hear nor see anything that would one there. There is such a thing as church or Sunday school. Yet they have plenty of vegetables and fruit which is more than we have in Pawnee only as can buy them and they come high Dell is keeping house alone and stays with a neighbor at nights. Ella has gone to live with aged couple ( Mr. & Mrs. Crosby) who  are quite wealthy. They clothe and educate Ella and should Ella do right it is likely she will draw portion of their property. But if either party gets dissatisfied Ella will come home. They live about one block from us and Ella can come home every day if she want. She has the best of clothes and a room furnished with everything nice and costly a buggy to take a ride if she like and no hard work, only to do the washing for the three. So I think Ella is very fortunate Dell is such a good girl for business and so kind to me. She and Maggie are my only dependence to take care of me in my sickness and old age. Ella and Mary are kind but they cannot of my wants as the other two of course it is because they have not been me as much. I use to think you would be the staff of my old age, but after you refusal to obey me, in regard to coming to Kansas I no longer had any hope I had no hope in the direction, but god has given me at least one daughter to be proud of. While I hope none will disgrace us. I had thought if this country agreed with me I might move back in this neighborhood, but my health is no better as yet, while I can do a good deal of work my lungs are still in bad condition. Should I liver over another summer I shall send Dell to visit you perhaps come myself; but that is in the future, which perhaps I shall not live to see. It seems so hard to think of you there alone and caring so little for us, but I pray for you daily and hope you and Albert will get along well. I cannot write more now. If you can answer this by 8th of next month direct to Princeton, Franklin County, Kansas. All my love and how I want to see you before I die, but I do not expect to have that pleasure. Mary J Loafman. Should you not get this in time to answer by the 6th direct to Larned


Feb 26 1883

Dear Julia I thought I would write you a few lines. Ma has been worst for the last month that she has ever been but she's a little better today. She has not been able to write but she said she would try and write a little in your letter and (moriees ? )Both. Ella is writing to her and Maggie is getting diner. How is the baby getting along and who does he look like I would like to see him and you. maybe we will go live in the country this summer and I  wish you could come and live with us. We have had very cold weather here this winter. I think it has been the coldest winter since we came to Kansas but Maggie and I only missed two days of school. One morning Maggie thought her nose was froze when she got to school and wanted to come home again. Where do you live and who lives in the Crafton house? What do you call the baby Charles or Ross? I got a new worsted dress for my birthday present. Ma got it for me well I guess that’s all I can think of for this time. Excuse bad writing and spelling I will do better the next time, write soon as you get this. Good by Della L


----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear sister julia I will write you a few lines. I am well I was at Sunday school today, but did not stay for church. Julia I cant think much to write. We had a nice Christmas we spend it at Brom Grove and had a spendid time running wild on the prairie. Where do you live? Who does the baby look like. I want you to come out here if you can this spring. Julia I will write more the next time. Write soon. Excuse bad writing and spelling love to you all. Goodby from your sister Ella. Ann come if you can

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Julia I will try and write a few lines more lines tonight or I did not get to go to school for dell would not go as she for her lessons for Monday. Ma is reading my Sunday school, that I got today. Julia I have been lazy that I have not washed my dinner dishes yet and it is after dark now Maggie and Della are studying there grammar lesson. Mary does Mary Bowen go with any young fellows yet and who is she. Alice Kell married yet and Florence and how many children has callie and is Annie as pretty as ever. Do you know weather mrs foord I living yet? Julia we going to have our pictures taken before long and send you one and Mary one and tell Mary Bowen that I wrote her a letter 4 or 5 weeks ago but lost it and I don’t want her to get mad because I will answer again as soon as possible I don’t write any sooner. You all get you pictures taken and send us one. We have your but send us another, all together if you can but I would like to see you all together if you can but I would like to see you all better I would like to see that baby so bad. Julia if you see any pretty clothes patterns will you send me some for I want to make same for a light dress for mine are all wide and I don’t like them very well. Julia I would like for you and Albert to come out here if you can. This spring I can think of any thing more to write this time and will try and think something better next time I am your sister Ella may Loafman


March 4 1883

Dear children excuse me for not writing but my head is so poor that I seldom try to write when I feel a little better there so many things that require my attention that I neglect my friends and family. I have been some better for the last week but today is damp and drizzly do that my cough is some worst but I feel my general health is improving, providing I can save myself from hard work. Dell and Maggie go to school. Ella helps about the work and weaving but she does not like to weave. So we get along very slowly, yet we manage to keep nearly up with expenses and when school is out we will soon catch up as Dell like the loom. I am thinking now of moving to the country for a few months and by gardening and poultry business. It is a thought that kind of work will be good for me. Albert you sked about a clerks help here. It may be possible that you could get some but you would have to be here. To engage for yourself, but I think if you are not able to work a farm that herding cattle or sheep would be far more healthy than clerking in a store and I think there is not doubt you could get situations. You and Julia could come and bring nothing but your clothing and a little bedding such as you could bring a baggage and try this country for the summer. I can find some sort of a place to stay and if proves a benefit to you make arrangements to suit yourselves if my own health was good I would be more decided but the climate and country is not the cause of my sickness is it my age and the hard work I have done has naturally worn me out. I would like to write more, but I must stop. I am glad to know that you can trust in your savior, for the future. That's about all I can write for now Mary J Loafman,


Feb 2 1884

Albert & Julia your letters are received. I am in town today but live on the farm where I was last wrote. My health has been much better till the last three weeks, I took worse and have been very bad some friends came out  yesterday and tought a ride to town would but help me but i am not quite so well, will go home tomorrow if I am able. I am going to move on a cattle ranch ( billings ranch) the first of march 35 miles futher west. Dell & Maggie offer to keep me and do all the work if I will keep home for them so they will not have to work out. Maggie herd cattle and if we can we will take a few cows on the shares. Mary and frank are coming out next month. perhaps they may go to the same ranch with us, I cannot work at all. Now Maggie goes to school, Dell is taking care of 12 head of cattle 2 being cows that we have to milk and butter we want. Julia you want me to visit you but I don’t suppose I would live a month in that damp climate;  besides its not so cold here. The thermometer stood 15 degrees below one day and we have had 1 inch of snow this winter. To day is as warm as may a trip to the mountains might help me but I am not near as weak as I was last winter. When spring comes I hope I will be able to take care of the chickens. Anyhow I was glad to get Claude's picture he is very pretty, and hope he will walk soon. We will try to the girls pictures taken for you before we move those lots if you and Albert will take then you may have them. I cannot come now or spare the money as I have a house to built this spring. I would write more but I am weak and must close. The girls will write soon. Love to all Mary J. Loafman


Sept 15 1884

Dear Julia I thought I would write you a few lines, to let you know we are all alive yet. How are you getting along and can claude walk yet. Mary got a letter saying he couldn’t . Mary was upa and stayed about two weeks with us she is in very poor health. Nora is as fet and hearty as she can be.  You have asked for our pictures often and we would have sent them but we live so far from town we couldn’t get them taken but we will get them send them to you. Cant you come out here on a visit, we would like to see you. I guess I must close write as soon as you get this and the next letter please. Put some of you name on the envelope. We got your letter but P.M opened it first, as there was no name on it. Della
==============================================
Middle Branch Hodgeman County, Kansas Sept 15 1884
Dear Julia & Albert and babe I thought I would try to write you a little. I do so it is the last I shall ever write to you as I am failing so fast that it is only a matter of time till I shall have passed away. We are here on school land yet but I expect to take a homestead in a week or two as the girls can hold and stay and frank has taken one so the girls can arrange to hold it and stay  the most of the time with Mary. Of course Dell could run the loom for the most part for a living. We had it pretty hard this summer but Frank & Mary has helped us both with money and work Ella has not been home with her husband yet but we expect them next week Albert you often speak as though you wish to help. If you ever help do it right away I think the girls can pay you after I am gone. Now it takes all their time to take care of me. I can walk a little but not much. I would like to live for the girls sake a while longer but if god calls I hope to be ready though. I cannot see in the future like your pa did but I trush to be with him, how good a savior to have help that I may see clearer the way across the dark valley and oh be sure to come to see us in that better land. Remember me kindly to all friends. How I want to write to Mrs. Shoup, I will dictate to someone to write, love to all  this much more than I expected to write but the lord helps me. Write immediately, may god bring us all to our happy home, is the prayer of your almost dying mother, address is at the head of this letter.
Letter (registered) sent from A.W Selway to Mary J. Loafman Middle Branch Kansas


Oct 20 1884

Middle Branch Kansas Oct 20, 1884
We received that money, it was such abliged a favor thank you ever so much.
Dear Julia I thought I would write and tell you that ma is worst I don’t guess she will live tonight and says she will remember you she would like to see you once more but cannot but will meet you in heaven. I do wish you could come to see us we'll have no father or mother. So for now good bye Maggie

Oct 30, 1884

Larned October 30 1884
Dear Julia I expect you have been looking for a letter foe a long time; but we thought ma would get better so she could write, but  she will never write you again she died Wednesday 29 twenty minutes past 12 o'clock. I was setting by the bed watching the flies off and I thought she was sleeping, but when we found out she was dying we sooner gone that she didn’t notice anything. She always said it would be hard struggle at the last and seemed to want to live a hile longer; but a week before she died she suffered awful one day and night, then the pain left her. Then every few minutes she moved, ask us toor her to die and see would see so many pretty flowers. Ever since that she has wanted to go last night, her tongue swelled so you could hardly understand what she said. She bid us goodbye and told us to tell you she wanted to meet you all in heaven, but in the morning she seemed to be brighter and wanted her breakfast about 9 o'clock. Her tongue began to swell again just before her death, tried to tell me something but could not make out what it was. The funeral is to be preached tomorrow at 10 o'clock here at the house. Oh how I wish you could she before she is buried. Mary is sick and cant come & Ella lives so far away she cant get here in time. So there is just Maggie and I. you must excuse this letter for I cant think what to write. I am going to stay at Marys this winter & Maggie is to stay at Mr.. Stevens place & live together. That is the way ma wanted us to do. We are going to take a homestead that is a soldiers orphants homestead, for we are not old enough to take any other kind Mr.. Stevens and Mary is our guardiens, write as soon as you get this for we are very lonely. Direct from Larned from your sister Della. Kansas Pawnee county. Died October 29 1884


July 1886

Larned July 1886
Dear Julia, Albert and children we received your letter and was glad to hear from you. I thought you had not got our letter and we was going to write again. We are having very dry weather here we had hail storm about 8 weeks ago and it cut all the corn down and most of the gardens were killed. It destroyed all the wheat and rye, the corn has come on again, but  it will be late. You don’t know how glad we were to get the children's pictures. I think you have two of the prettiest little boys there ever was. I have been trying to get Ella to have there baby pictures, but they haven't yet. It is a shame we don’t have our pictures taken & send to you. But we live so far from any place where we can have them taken. Have not heard from Ella for about two weeks, before the fourth. I answered her letter but have not heard from her. We spent out fourth at Jetmore, had a real nice time. But I know I would have enjoyed myself a great deal better at your house. Maggie & I have been thinking what a nice time we would have this fall when we came back there but the hale storm destroyed all the wheat ( that is what we were going to sell to get the money to come on) I guess we will have to give up coming this fall. Well i will try and finish up this letter after so long a time. We wont have any fruit out here. There are not but a few orchards out here and they are not old enough to brse much, only the peach trees. You are having better luck with your chickens, then we are with the coyotes are so bad taking them, we had twelve taken in one night. Well I must go and water the cow and calf.. Della.


Sept 16 1886

Williamstown Mo September 16, 1886
Mr. William Thonpson, ESQ. dear sir the first for me to do is introduce myself to you. A.W Selway is my name my wife a sister to Della and Maggie Loafman. Who lives I suppose close to you. Mr. Frank Spaulding, thier brother in law was telling me that Mrs. Steven was jelous of the girls. He says you are a responsible man and a friend to the girls. Now please tell me is this the truth and if it is. Is there any cause for it. Keep this letter a secret and write and tell me the truth about the matter and what you think about the girls staying out here by themselves we have both been warning to one and go live with Ella, a sister, at Larned and the other come and live with us. But they think it is best to stay on their claim, at the present time. I am a poor man or I would come out there myself and see to this myself as I am interested in the girls left orphan in a new country these are hard times I know they will have a hard time and make a living and any man or woman that will take advantage of two young girls living alone. Hanging is to good for them. I wish the girls were here. If I was able I would like to have both of them live with us but I am running such small grocery and not able to cloth both as they should be, I know their mother was a good woman. My wife and I know nothing about the girls they left when they were small. But I know their mother was a good woman and raised them right. It worrys me to have them out there by themselves I wish you would write to me and tell all bout them if they are to live this winter without anyone to get them anything. Please do this for me, if its not asking to much of a stranger do not let the girls know you got this letter from me or anyone else they got their claim alright? Frank said some low down scamp tried to jump their claim and started these reports of the girls to get them off the claim please excuse my ( esisnestaneb?) but it makes my blood boil to think of such a thing of such men, if frank had any grit he would have whipped the life out of that sneak. Hoping to hear from you immediately and hear all about it. I am very tuley yours A.W. Selway, Williams Town Mo.
P.S I will send you letter back to you if any other information is wanted will give it if I can. The girls have the sympathy of the community, I assure you M.K.G


Response 1886

Response 1886 from the sept 16, 1886 letter
Dear sir as my husband Mr. Thompson a letter of inquiry concerning those Loafman girls from you some time ago he said he would turn the matter over to me and me to tell all the particulars.
Now my honest opinion about the girls that they are perfectly virtuous they are quiet and modest and we live in a half a mile of them. Came see their house plainly from our door. They come our house often. I go with them. My nieces visit them. They associate with all the society here except Mr. Stephens. Della lived there last year. And her and Mr. Stephens had a  little fuss and quarreled about some house affair. The result Della left. But she and Mr. Stephens are friendly when they meet. And I think Della went there a time or two afterwards. As her thing were there but since the girls got there things away and they are keeping house the girls do not visit. I live within one fourth of a mile from Mr. Stephens. Mrs. Stephens never speak disrespectful of the girls. She has never intimated anything like being jealous of her husband and them. Mr. Spaulding told the truth about the young man trying to jump their claim. His father tried to up hold him by putting reports concerning them and Stephen in circulation this young man is Mrs. Stephens nephew. I think Mrs. Stephen does not like the girls. And perhaps used er influenced to get the young man to take claim. She and her husband never did get along very well. She has red curly hair and a long nose and you can judge that she is good scold Mr. Stephen is the same and the appearance of being very firm very stubborn and will have his own way yet he has the name of being and being well respected and is a deacon in the congregation church here. He told me Mrs. Loafman told him while on her death bed to look after the girl interest and he promised her he would and he intended to do it let the consequenes be as they would. A few weeks ago Mr. Stephens son in law went to the girls and told the girls he would give them $150.00 for five acres of ground, including the house and their claim and also told them that they had better take that amount as old Reed has intended to take it from them if he could old them he could so Della consented and get good claims for a $100.00 and much more, for him to have it but she said to him she would rather see Mr. Thompson or Mr. Stephens about. He told her not to mention it to anyone, but he happened to a friend of his and he accidently told Mr. Thompson, that we would soon have new neighbors so Mr. Thompson went right up to see the girls. They were surprised to think he has found out and a Mr. Brown from Larned ( Mrs. Brown taught indians near where Mrs. Loafman did) went to Jetmore and told a lawyer the whole story and he said they could not sell it that may as he had interceded for them thus far. So he told Mr. Thompson to bring the girls up the next day and to tell Stephens to come also, they had quiet a racket Stephens resigned the gaurianship of the girls. Della is old enough to be her own guardian and was appointed guardian for Maggie. So now when the returns come back from Washington she can put her papers on it as the head of family. Della has no right to sell the claim what so ever written to Stephens without order from probate judge. They have been offered four hundred dollars for itatrey Thompson says it is worth $500.00 when they prove up on it and get deed it will be worth $800 to $1000. it is as fine a quarter section of land as you ever seen not an acre of waste land it. It will be owing to improvement that they will live on it. What it will be worth they have a sod house of one room one door,  two small windows, dirt floor walls plastered, inside, has one bed safe cookstove, tables, chairs, two stand tables, flour chest, sewing machine, and a few other things in the house also so keep there looms up a good part of the time they get a good deal of carpet weaving to do. They raised and sold about 5 dollars worth of onions. They have a large patch of sweet potatoes, which looks nice, if nothing happens to them. Will have several dollars worth to sell, beside  what they can use, but the weaving season is about over and could dreary winter is coming on and they will certainly well have hard work to get through the winter without help them to get fuel or any of the necssities of life know they would be thankful for it. Mr. Thompson said he would give one dollar toward fuel and one neighbor said he would haul a load for them coal is $7.50 per ton and has to be hauled 17 miles. It takes a day to make the trip. There is five dollars of money on Mr. Thompson hands if you and him can arrange it would like to give it for coal for girls. The girls do dress extravagantly and have not had new hats this summer.. About five sets of dresses is all they have had Maggie has just one ? Of calico. She has good shoes and they both have good cloaks but I their warm clothes are not very elaborate. They are making a carpet. Are going to spred it down on the floor. They are looking for their sister and her husband to visit them soon. They pick up chips in our pasture now to burn. And Mr. Spaulding gave them each about six dollars for the coal, sfower, chicken, sugar molasses.
Stephens hauld them up for their day. I think he will still look after their interest for them. He told me those girls were near as nice girls as ever lived as far as he know. The girls seem to greatly attached to each other and it think they would not be satisfied to separated. I think Maggie is the most sociable and littler freer to talk. Della does not talk much. The girls go to Sunday school nearly every Sunday. Have to walk over two miles. They go to parties too and they dance, I have been told I disapproved of dancing but nearly every young lady and gentleman in the whole community dances. Now I have told you everything and perhaps more than you want to hear. I shall destroy your letter and ask you after reading this to your wife, to do the same. I have tried to tell the truth in all things so far as possible very respectfully ( Mrs. Thompson, not signed)


SEPT 19, 1899

Mr. A.W Selway; Williamstown MO
Dear Bro
Enclosed find a draft for which I am indebted to you so far as finances are concerned, yet as friendship and accomdations are concerned I never expect to be able to pay for in you I found a friend and one which was find indeed. How true the sayings it that everybody is your friend until you touch strings of there picket book and then they are no friend at all.
But in you and your family we found such friends as I never expected to find else where. And may "god" forbid us ever meeting you again under the same circumstance another such experience would finish me. It seemed so much harder to have to give up one dear baby. So far from home and under such circumstances. After having such a nice visit and just on eve of coming home. Oh I pray that I will never have to under go another such a time. I had counted so on what I should when they got home. And I had fixed things for the baby to play with and now poor little niece are put away. When I look at them it almost breaks my heart. When I fired them I pictured to myself how they would look going over going over to grandma's but alas it can never be, but I feel that all was done that could possibly could be done and with your ready assistance, we put her away nice and I am so glad that she could be buried in your family plot for I feel sure her little grave will be kept green.
Ell Albert I am not a letter writer. I will not attempt to write much. I cant keep my thoughts together long enough but I will try to tell you a little about how we are doing and how close I came to losing my job while I was out there. They telegraphed me eight times and when they could not find me they wrote to headquarters for them to send down a man to take my place and then they found out that three telegrams they sent out was not near me and then they tried to get one through to Williamstown could  not for some reason or other that was the say I arrived home the superindant was at the depot and was glad to see me. The two weeks that I was gone they lost in shipping 49,000 pounds of grain or about $800.00 worth or at least that much they can account for. I'll tell you I have been kept busy ever since, I went back to work. I just this day finished my reports of the largest weeks work has ever turned out in a six mill plant the art part evalued 548000 over 12,000 that was ever made before in the same length of time. On six mills. Now that it after 9;pm I will bring my letter to close by thank you and your family an___ and for there attention you rendered in the time of great sorrow and I write just add a little more by saying that I shall always remember the people of Williamstown and their sincere sympathy and to Archie. I feel we are indebted to him for the last resting place on earth for our dear baby born ( January 28, 1897; died August 9, 1899) in remember me to adltue and all enquery and did been uneasy about your money sometime I will explain why I did not return it immediately. But not now. If you will please_____ write to me and I will send an answer fully. We are all well. Close by bidding you goodnight.
G.W Sanders Jr.


Oct 16 1886

Oct 16 1886
Middle Branch Saturday
Dear Julia and albert
I will try and answer your letter which we received a few days ago. We are well and hope this letter will find you the same. Ella and Zeff have been up. They came up last Sunday & went back Thursday. We are ever so obliged for that money. We are getting along real well we two carpets to weave, they are not here yet but they will here soon. We have a hog to kill this winter and we will have our own meat. Mrs. Thompson was up yesterday afternoon and gave us that money.

Oct 18 1886

Oct 18 1886
Larned
Dear sister; we received your letter and the picture they are real nice. We are all well and hope you are the same. We were up to see the girls last week. They are all well and have a nice claim and I hope they will hang on to it. Its worth over $1000.00 and the girls will be down money this winter for some time. Well Julia what kind of weather are you having back there. We are having a nice time for wheat we have in 4 acres, that is up nice and Zeff is putting in more mell. Julia we do not know any thing to write. There is nothing going on out here, none to amount to anything. We are going to have a railroad just across the road from our place, and a station within a mile of us then I think all might and see us. Well Julia you will have to excuse short letter this time I try and do better next time. I send my love to all good bye from your sister Ella Roberts.









No comments:

Post a Comment