Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mary Johns Bowen Letters 1850-1851

Mary John Bowen was transferred to Tallahassee Creek Mission in Tallahassee Wagoner Oklahoma.  The town was an all African American population when it was formed in 1850 when the Creek Indian created the school. Classes started in March 1850. Hon.Walter Lowrie came from new York. In April of 1847 he was the secretary of the board of foreign missions in New York. He came to agreement with Indian chefs to enlarge the Koweta Mission and create the Tallahassee Mission that would accommodate eighty students the school was funded by the Presbyterian church and the creek school fund.

The school was a large brick building 3 stories high, it was fully furnished. The school open up with 30 children and more came in the fall. The children spent 6 hours studying each day. They did chores for two hours each day, the boys worked on the farm the girls did the household duties, they had 3 meals a day and had plenty time to sleep and play. They had to go to church on Sunday and pray each morning and night and at meal time, the children had to recite a verse from the bible.The teachers had a $100 salary per year.

Here is two letters that Mary wrote, which placed her teaching at the mission. 

Tallahassee Aug 29 1850
Mr Lowrie
Shall I be so free as to ask you to send me a bureau and wash stand such as Miss Greene was furnished with? I should also like to have 26 yds of carpet and a half dozen pairs of shoes 4 pairs of buskins No 4 1/2 I of ladies boots No 5 1 of gum (gun) No 5  I do not wish very costly carpet. Not more than 50 or  62 1/2 at per yard. These are to come out of my salary of course. The Bureau and stand excepted. If convenient to you I would like theses things to be forwarded from Cincinnati at a period as early as possible. I am acquainted with Mr Thorpe's family. and I think they would take pains to send by the first that comes the whole _____ route.
Mr Lowrie would it be too much to ask for $25 to pay for a saddle and some other things that I wish to get from home. That is to have Mr Thorpe  buy it and charged to my account. I am in no great haste about this last (?) I fear you will me rather extravagant  but these are articles that cannot well be despaired with here particularly the saddle. I think I shall not be under the necessity of calling on you very soon again at least not for such as sum as this.
Yours in heart



Tallahassee Feb 11 1851
Mr. Lowrie
Dear Sir
The young lady who is introduced to the notice of the Board
I think is one who will make a good missionary. It has been about four years since I  became acquainted with her and in that time I have never heard or saw anything which would for a moment lead me to doubt her piety or qualifications for the work in which she wishes to engage. Like many other she has had to stem the tide of adversity but there are very few who have done themselves more credit than she --- Her parents died when she was quiet young. Leaving a large family with but little means. She was the youngest and when she grew up she had no one to depend on but herself. ----She has managed to get a very good education and is an adapt with the needle. She so much over exert herself in acquiring her education by paying for her way with her needle that she almost destroyed her health Having a sister in Penn she ____ to reside with her for a time and she now writes me her health is perfectly restored.  From my account of the needs of the Mission she offers to engage in this ____ and as she trust in the ____ of the " great head of the church".
Mr. Lowrie I need not say how much I desire that Miss Harkmoes or Warkmous (?) may be sent here. And if Mrs. Robertson's health does not improve I do not see how we are going to do without more help. But if there are other stations which need  assistance as much or more I have no doubt but my friend will be willing to go if you think ____ There is more help needed at  Kowetah, and if you decide that we have enough here allow me ( if it is not ___ too much) to ask to have her sent there.
With many kind regards
your sister in Christ.
Mary J. Bowen
Walter Lowrie Esp. New York

No comments:

Post a Comment