Thursday, August 1, 2013

Mary Johns Bowen Letters 1852-1853

Mary Johns Bowen was sent to the Kowetah Mission School in around 1852 to teach there.  She resigned in 1853 due to illness.
According to Lola Sanders letter the children were taught to sleep in a bed to sit at the tables and eat from china and use silverware and napkins they were taught to cook bake sew mend keep a house clean as well as themselves. To wear their hair like American girls and to wear American clothes and shoes. The children didn’t like shoes.  They had to learn to sit in chairs in a living room and talk about different subjects. They were also taught ballroom dancing and how to ride a horse using a riding habit, using a side saddle and cantering like a ladylike pace was very hard for them to master. The children would ditch their saddles whenever they can and ride away.  Mary Johns would share with the girls American home life, cities, schools and about the stars she studied astronomy and astrology at the seminary school. She a lot time with the girls and help them with there clothes and hair.  And personal hygiene, taught some of them how to speak French and other subjects. The girls were around Mary a lot they would even sneak into her room at night and sleep on the floor by her bed. Mary was on the verge of a nervous breakdown due to the children being around her so much. The school gave her a leave of absence, she went back to Pennsylvania. She never came back. 

The blank spots in the letters are the words I wasn't able to make out due to them being unreadable.
 
Nov 1852 Letter Kowetah
Saturday, May 11, 2013
9:39 PM
Mr. Lowrie
Dear Sir.
I dread to write such discouraging accounts from our school, knowing how  much you are in
_______ in it. We have became compelled to send the girls home on account of my health failing. Oh it was painful to part with them and, so many of them ____ so very unwilling to leave school I felt as though no sacrifice would  ___ great could I only be the means of keeping all the school together be from frequent attacks of chills since the first of September my general health had become ____ ___and my lungs  _____ much affected that I could not discharge the duties(?)  inc____  ___ ____ at least not as they ought be discharged  Dr. Jin__(?) advise that I should  give up all labor and care for three____ ___ months,  he thinks  the rest and such medicines _____ prescribes will be the means of restoring my health  I have full confidence dr. J and feel (?)  myself health  I can not endure ___  ___ and  ____ ____ ___  while the girls ___ here but I think I can attend to the household affairs and the ____ with the assistance  _________ _____ some of them missionaries were  favor of  breaking up the school altogether but I should  not see the boys go too. The very idea is painful I trust I am _____ to ____ affection, yet if it is the cause of disbanding the school I fear lest I shall find myself mourning (?) against God of all the trials I have met with this is the greatest I do no mean the loss if my health that I would find a ___anyway Kowetah school will close 1st of August with an exams (?) _____ also. There has been considerable seriousness manifest both there and at Tallahassee among the scholars which  in hopes is the beginning of a good work in their own hearts that they may not grieve away the "heavenly messenger" is to daily prayer of the missionaries what on  _______ and resp___work we are engaged in ! And have  much grace ___ ____ to perfect it! So far myself I look back with shame on the apparition  of doing good which are passed without being improved __ so many thing done wrong. I feel unworthy to labor in so great  a house yet it is my soul's desire to spend my life in the service of my savior and if I can just serve him by trying to lead the Indian children into his fold. Then let me spend my life among the Creek Indians Mr L. for several reasons if ___ thought best by the brother and sister missionaries for me to go to Kowetah and Miss W. to remain here one of which is that the work at ___ id better suited for my health while teaching in school agrees with Miss W  better than with me. Those she will not be engaged in teaching for the present but in all probability that will the occupation of the one who stays here My thanks to Mrs Lowrie for the trouble she took to make purchases for me last winter The other lady (?) would join with me in acknowledging our obligations for her kindness did they know I was writing. The goods  ___ that she must have taken a great deal of _____ I am greatly indebted to you for the gift of the memories of your son. With Lowrie I ____  ____ both for the high character of the subject of the work and the  _____ I have for it Author. I have learn so many lessons from it already. But there are many others I fear I shall never be able to  ____ in practice as did your son though they are more important.
Miss Warkman (or workman) and myself have been thinking if it would be as convenient for you to have our supplies order from Cincinnati instead of N.Y We had known the agent the__ and have friends there also who would make purchases for us.  But do not make change unless you think best ____ mention it not knowing but it will do as with and perhaps better than to send to N.Y.
Mr. Lowrie we would be very glad could you send us a bureau neither Miss W nor I have any place to put our clothes exception trunks which is very inconvenient. True I have done so long without a bureau you might think I could  ____  do but I find the longer I____ the more I need one and _____  ____ Miss W. will find it so likewise we would rather do without pay for them.
Remember me in your prayers also the Indians among whom I am placed I wish to do my duty but cannot unless help is granted from on ( or an) High. This assistance we will need be that it may be granted us is the  prayer  your friend and I hope
Sister in Christ
Mary J. Bowen
Kowetah jan 25 1853
Saturday, May 18, 2013
11:49 PM
Kowetah Jan 25 1853
Dear Mr Lowrie
Will you allow me to trouble you again with ____ short letter I have received no answers to  the one I wrote sometime since nor could I expect so soon I wrote this to ask that I maybe disconnected with the board. My health is very bad better than when I wrote I cannot do much here  I am only in the way of some  ____ what might be more useful. I  feel that I could do more good at home with my present ____ and as this school will in all probability be broken up in the spring and I think it would be only _____ for nothing ____ to you to another station duty seems plane to me and that is for me to go.  Even if more  help could be  ____ for this place I cannot see that I would be much use  ____ I can not teach unless I would have to talk as much  as it is necessary to do in these indian schools. And if a married lady  ____ she of course will take the  ____that I have now . I could not think of remaining  here even  if my health ___ good if there is to be no married family ___ Taking all this things ___ consideration (?)  I have come ___ the  ___ decision to return home at for a time should my health become established  and there be  in spring  for more usefulness____ ____ foreign field. I would not hesitate to engage in the work again. This with much  _____ that I think of saving the Creeks and it is only with the hope that I can do them that I have  ____ to go I love the children of the school dearly and I cannot think of a greater trail than to leave them particurly now when it seems so eviendent that they be depressed of the  _____ of you to school ___ long. Oh that these indians could see what is for both their ___ and spiritual interest and oh  that god  would  think it is the hearts of  ___ of Miss ___ to come and labor for them. I am thinking of taking two or three boys home with me  to have them educate their friends  watch  them to go and the boys are very anxious to go. I have  almost ____ to take them. Their object is to  ___ for the missiontry and could I be the means to  assist accomplishing their object would  it not be productive of more  good than laboring here if I was able to labor.? The hope would be _____ to go unless  some missionaries would be with them for  ___ time  at least  I am concerned they will never acquire __  suffient education  here not even to enter college much  less be prepared to  _____ a theological course. I think I can ___ ___ arrangements to have them educated of their  were not able to ___ all ___ necessary expenses I have written to __ pastor ( Mr. steel)  ___ know  what can  be  done for them  should they go  asking if  be could get  ____  for them  where they would  ___ ___ ___ I mention this  to  you knowing  you feel  an interest  in these scholars  and would  be glad  ___ hear of them doing well. What do you think  of the  ___ of __--  ___ ___  ___ to be  _____ ? Your young friend William  ____ ___ ___ ___ ___  then at the two ___ ___  the most advised scholars . I hope they may get ___  blessing to their people by being able to preach to them  in their own language.
I hope my resignation will be accepted by the committee and that I may hear soon for if I do go home I wish to start as early in the spring __I can
With kind regard I am ____ ___
Mary J Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment